Sunday, May 20, 2007

Fay Grim, Waitress, & 28 weeks Later

The Dobie Theater was a little too hot yesterday, but it got colder as the movie progressed. Fay Grim really got bogged down in silly, spy-chit chat that didn`t make any more sense than a fly that was flittin` `bout my nose! Read Roger Ebert`s piece, and boy am I glad he`s back. Parker Posey grimaces, snarls, winks, etc...and is reckless fashion-plate for this lunkey flick. But she can`t save it...this is Ian Fleming gone south. I know I need to see Henry Fool, but I`m reluctant to do so after this clunker! Loved the high-definition though and good shots of Istanbul.

Waitress was a very cute little film that recalls an easier, more innocent age, which would not be our own however. There was something untrue about it, and i don`t know just why? The pie-recipes in it were interesting. Andy Griffith is good as the bitter, wealthy owner. Keri Russel is good and Adrienne Shelly plays a dumb, nerdy flap-jacker strutter who hitches to a bad-poetry dork. It is tragic about her murder late last year.

My favorite of these three was 28 Weeks Later, especially because of the birds-eye shots of London, and the senseless slaugher by the government to annilhilate the carriers of the Rage virus. Because of the virus, people lose feeling for one another. Whenever a carrier tries to eat someone, they move real fast and snatch up their lunch before you can whistle dixie! Dark comedy really-modern George Romero. There is a real rockin` soundtrack-kind of sounded like King Crimson, but I`ll have to check it out! Just about everyone gets slaughtered, and you already knew that, but it`s still a big bummer. Wasn`t great, but it was the best of these three that i`ve seen the last two weeks. I want to see Away From Her today, but I`m not gettin` strongly behind it...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fay Grim seems to be getting bad reviews everywhere, which is real disappointing as I'm a big Hal Hartley fan and loved Henry Fool. I'll probably see it anyway just cuz. There are probably a few good parts in it, right? I saw 28 Days Later and gave it a Frenchy thumbs up at the time, just not sure I'm in the mood for a sequel to that.

Claude Bovee said...

I just put Henry Fool on my Netflix Queue, second `cuz I want to see season 1 of Rome. You should see Fay Grim, but the case can be made that a comedy plot, maybe not as stupid as GoldMember, is not a tight fit in a post 911 world!