Friday, November 30, 2007

DIGGERS

I enjoyed "Diggers" over the last couple of days, as a Netflix title. It is directed by Katherine Dieckmann and takes place in 1976, just before Gerald Ford left the presidency and Jimmy Carter took over. This is one of the reasons I liked it. The cars and hair styles and life styles were all very familiar to me. It is a working class film and is about clam diggers in Long Island who see the writing on the wall. Their way of life is dying out; this film is about how they cope with their changing economic landscape. This is another reason I liked it. It is about real change that can happen to people. It weaves between comic relief and serious issues, such as: infidelity, financial pressure, friendship loyalty, family tensions, and the sheer undermining of long standing traditions,-the way people gain livelihood, ya know- such as clam digging in Long Island. I am still considering inclusion on my list of Best Films 2007, but I am going to have to see how it stacks up against other titles that I have yet to see. It seems as if I am leaning in the direction of inclusion, yet it never came to Austin and has not received much attention in the press. Obviously, that should not be of any concern to me, I believes-duhhh...!

No comments: