Monday, December 24, 2007

SIMONE DINNERSTEIN J.S. BACH GOLDBERG VARIATIONS


This CD has been rotating persistently on my privy jukebox for three days. Simone Dinnerstein is a rising star in classical circles, and has recorded a perfect Goldberg Variations by J. S. Bach. I`m a bit foggy on these forms, but it seems to be about mathematical precision and celestial architectonics-balance, harmony, order, & that sort of thing. She used an old piano that survived the bombing in England in WWII, then was restored by Klavierhaus in New York City. The recording was made at the American Academy of Arts and Letters in New York, on March 11-13, 2005. It was picked up by TELARC and released last August, and now everyone is listening to it. I heard about it through the NY Times piece on November 30, 2007: Strings and Things: Classical`s Best and Brightest. I look for these classical music critics` best picks every year, since they seem to know something about these titles (classical music is still new to me). Ann Midgette recommended Simone Dinnerstein, and I`m glad she did; now I`m aware of her! It is very much a miracle, so go pick it up and play it a couple of thousand times.

No comments: