Monday, June 16, 2008

MY MORNING JACKET-EVIL URGES



I had a vacation day on Tuesday, so I went by Waterloo Records to scout out some new tracks. I saw that My Morning Jacket`s new one “Evil Urges” was out, so I listened to a few passages from several tracks at their nifty sampler stations. The first few tracks were gentle and smooth and I really thought they had changed from their hard-rockin` presence when performing live. I immediately thought of “Workingman`s Dead” by Grateful Dead as possible reference to these fresh tracks spinning in the Apple Player. The record was $11.99 so I snatched it up along with a bunch of Radiohead that was also on sale. I nonchalantly spun the disc a few times at home, but only as background music for my reading. Much variety was present, I thought, and the production was smooth with shimmering guitar work, enunciated lyrics, and balances in bass and drums. A very big piece in the New York Times appeared on Friday, and I consumed this with relish and curiosity as I tried to further assess this new offering of My Morning Jacket. They haven`t really sold very many CDs in their past releases but their live shows sell out easily. Maybe this new release will produce a hit and “Evil Urges” will take off on the charts! I have a sneaking suspicion that it will do considerably better than previous records. I just listened to ‘Thank You Too!’ and that one could be a possible hit, from where I`m sittin`. ‘Sec Walkin’ is on now and it is relective and people conscious, hey that one could be a hit. The background female chorus is a nice touch. This CD has a lyric book too, and this is a big plus for me, since I can rarely tell what musicians are saying. “Two Halves’ is very catchy and reminds me of the Everly Brothers. The guitar flanges and the background harmonies give a full, Spectoresque production. ‘Librarian’ will listened to vastly by college students on their ipods as they amble across their campus. This is a minor key with a melancholy motif…it`s catchy, my friend! The line about Karen Carpenter is likely the hook in this one. Okay he is has a crutch on the Librarian; sounds like a good B movie too. My favorite song on the record, for right now, is ‘Aluminum Park’; this one sends me to the empty industrial wastelands of the deep South…I don`t know why really? I will continue to think about “Evil Urges”; I sure hope it`s not buried amongst the avalanche of releases this summer!

No comments: