Saturday, July 26, 2008

THE NEW DELHI DERVISHES

This is one of my works of art. For several years I`ve been meaning to return to it and try to finish it; you know polish it up a bit. The New Delhi Dervishes are vague spirits that linger in the atmosphere nurturing us with subconscious dreams and wonder. Their vague contours are suggested by Cycladic marble figurines, that I have often marveled at. When I mixed the photo just now I turned down the tones and made the Indian reds subdued earthen colors that don`t violate the eye with brightness. This is enables the eye to meditate on the image and to channel subtexture memories that sooth and heal the latent dharma of the mind. I used much sandpaper to give an antique or rusty lustre to the oils around the dervishes. This might be a relic that you find out by a dumpster, for instance, and you pick it up and later discover that it`s a long-lost pearl that was in the hands of a big collector of art at one time. I know this is tomfoolery, but you need to use your imagination a little and project this piece out to a more significant nitch in the World of Art! As such it is just gathering dust in my closet and I bang my foot on it every time I I try to grab some dirty socks in the closet. Now it will be seen by millions on the internet and its true value will be recognized for all time and my immortality is guaranteed. Go get another cup of strong Sulawesi Toraja, Mister John! Here is what I came up with when I googled punk art, Matt Stokes? I`m leaning in the direction, like The Leaning Tower of Pizza, of seeing this piece as a model for punk art? It`s unassuming, non-professional, unpolished, intuitive, humble, guttoral, and simplistic, like a three-chord garage rock classic...It`s Wild Thing! Is this junk or is this art, you decide (you don`t have to say junk, asshole)?

No comments: