Tuesday, November 18, 2008

ANATOMY OF A CONSPIRATORICIAN


I realized yesterday that it has been twenty years now since we did the coffee-table book, Conspiracy-A-Go-Go, a guide to sites associated with the JFK tangle. My feelings for study of the JFK assassination have been dormant for many years. Yet when viewing RFK Must Die, about Robert Kennedy`s shooting, much of my enthusiasm came back from the dead. This was in November of 1988 that all of this action went down. But yesterday I tried to remember when this unusual hobby of evidence digging really got started; what were its origins?

In the early to mid 1970s I tinkered a little by reading the Warren Report; more than anything else I was having trouble making the facts fit together into a cogent puzzle. I am a trained historian and was aware of methodologies to research a subject and at least attempt objectivity. Not that much was laying around that you could read to counter the wooden story that was given by the Warren Report. And then again, I was from Dallas (but living in Austin at the time) and many rumors and stories were circulating back then; most people with any saby did not accept the fabrications spun-out by the government.

Actually it was just a handful of independent researchers who began to crack the lid of lies, the cookie-jar cover story that shielded the American people from the stark truth. I would sit in the public library for hours on end reading the trifle of material I could get my hands on. One of the first things I ever looked at was Cover-up by Gary Shaw. I can not recall when I first saw it (around 1978). I marveled over all the knew information contained within, such as the tramps or hobos at the Depository or the fake Oswald photos taken at the Soviet Embassy in Mexico City. I knew that Gary Shaw was onto something significant.

In the late 1970s I began to obtain more reading materials that gave me more data. When the House Report came out suddenly I realized that the conspiracy was real, four shots had been fired at Dealey Plaza. Oddly, over the past ten years, say, more books and specials have reasserted the veracity of the single bullet theory, the model for Lee Oswald doing it alone. From say, 1979-1999 conspiracy was the going trend regarding the assassination. I am confounded by this change in public opinion. I believe it is contingent on these oppressive times. However, I will state a few simple bits of info that still lead me to believe that JFK was killed as a result of a conspiracy.

One thing that still eats away at me is pointed out by Josiah Thompson in Oswald`s Ghost, the best film I`ve seen in recent memory about these issues. That is, what was a lefty doing shooting a liberal president in right-wing Dallas? This does not make sense. Did Lee work for the CIA, just as his mother Margarita always purported? The evidence that Lee did is convincing to me.

For me, It is still simple things that trouble me. It is little things that don`t fit. Remember, witnesses saw two men stacking boxes in the sixth floor window about thirty minutes before the shooting. How could Oswald have gotten to the lunch room in just two minutes? No one has ever duplicated this feat. Did Roger Craig see Lee run down the Knoll and get in a car about twenty minutes after the shooting? Why did so many witnesses die after 1963, many of them under suspicious circumstances (see Penn Jones Jr.)? How does the missed shot that hit the curb fit into the construct? Why were there two caskets for JFK? What about the puff of smoke coming from the Knoll, and seen by S.M. Holland and others? Weren`t the autopsy photos faked?

There are hundreds and hundreds of anomalies to this case, that simply don`t support the position that only Oswald did it alone. I`m sorry to see this new wave of conservative constructionists on the JFK Assassination. We have an obligation to look back on the courageous original researchers who uncovered this heinous plot. A few of them are Robert Groden, Gary Mack, Mark Lane, Gary Shaw, Harold Weisburg, and Josiah Thompson. I will continue to be defiant against these latest distortions. Access The Men Who Killed Kennedy again for truth. This has been censored on the History Channel in recent memory. I recorded it in the late 1990s, so I can not be denied its revelations. When people try to put forth the single-bullet theory, they simply have to extract all the info that doesn`t fit. This is a sizeable body of facts. Keep this in mind…

No comments: